Wednesday, March 19, 2008

HKIFF: Day 2


My second film of the festival is Taiwanese director Singing Chen's God Man Dog. The director herself and star Jack Kao were in attendance for a Q&A session (both autographs on ticket above), where I got a commemorative lucky charm for asking a question.

As for the film, it's an ensemble film, where three seemingly unrelated stories somehow come together in the end and say something profound about our lives. Chen first set up at least two emotionally heavy stories, but doesn't really do enough with them for us to look forward to when they come together. However, when the tragicomedy aspect begins to set in, it also began to be more enjoyable. It has enough great music, cinematography, and performances to make it a good film. However, Chen's broad scope includes too much, with the plots not really going anywhere at points.

Still, I'm a sucker for these types of stories (me being a fan of Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu and all), so I would recommend God Man Dog to those who know what they're going into.

It opens in Taiwan on March 28th.

Tomorrow: Sex Is No Laughing Matter (or Don't Laugh At My Romance).

No comments: